Like most American kids that grew up in the 80's I watched the Indy 500 every year and became interested in motorsports thanks to that race, but I didn't really get hooked until I started watching Formula 1 racing in the late 90's. My favorite era were those years with the great Mika Hakkinen/Michael Schumacher battles. (I was a Mika Hakkinen fan) So my fondness for Formula 1 waned once Mika retired and Schumacher started winning everything, even at the expense of his teammate Rubens Barrichello. My interest in F1 has only been lukewarm since.

Then I turned to Champ Car racing here in the US for my motorsports fix. However that was quickly extinguished once Champ Car and Indy Car merged and we were stuck with Tony George and his many foibles. (It was entertaining to watch the Hulman/George drama I'll admit.) My interest has been less than lukewarm with Indy Car lately, even without Tony George at the helm.

Over time however, the excitement I once had for motorsports has slowly gone. Maybe it has to do with my age, I don't know. But I think I will pour my efforts into my Trooper and my interests in the outdoors to add excitement to my life.

Thanks for checking out my blog, I hope you enjoy it. I will still post racing news when I find something interesting or noteworthy.

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Brasilia government forced IndyCar race cancellation in money worry

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117528

(by Mark Glendenning autosport.com 1-31-15)

IndyCar's scheduled 2015 season-opener at the Brasilia circuit was cancelled due to government concerns about wasting public funds.

According to the Associated Press, public prosecutors warned that the event was "not in the best interests of society" and there was a "clear inversion in the priorities for public spending".

The prosecutors also reportedly identified problems in the contracts that the promoters negotiated with the previous administration, which they claim would have required spending more than $100 million on track upgrades alone for the Autodromo Internacional Nelson Piquet.

The cancellation of the IndyCar race comes at a time when Brasilia is gripped by a severe financial crisis.

A MotoGP race originally scheduled for 2014 was cancelled, and vast amounts of public money were spent on upgrading the Estadio Nacional for last year's football World Cup.

"While all efforts are under way to organise an event not essential to the society of the federal district, public employees are not getting paid," public prosecutors said.

The cancellation on Thursday of what would have been IndyCar's first visit to the venue came as a surprise: two-thirds of the tickets for the race had been sold, and a title sponsor for the race had been announced just one day earlier.

That same day, Tony Cotman, whose company NZR Consulting was in charge of the track upgrade, tweeted images of construction work being carried out at Turn 11.

IndyCar said in a statement that both the series and the paddock are "economically protected" from the cancellation.

There is understood to be a $27 million fine for breach of contract, which the Brasilia government says only applies to the contract between IndyCar and promoter BAND TV.

BAND was also the promoter of the Sao Paulo street race, which ran between 2010 and '13.

No comments: